Derry City and Strabane District Council has established this programme with support from the Department of Social Development.
Derry City and Strabane District Council’s Advice Services Support Programme aims to:
- Provide free independent advice and information to people who are in most need.
- Ensure that advice is both available and accessible to all.
- Make a real difference to the lives of people who are in most need in the community.
To date Council has led the way throughout Northern Ireland in terms of how it commissions and funds the generalist Voluntary Advice Sector. Council have always strived to achieve both value for money and to maximise the impact of its funding for advice, benefiting those who are most in need.
Since 2006, all Advice Providers in Derry City and Strabane District Council area have used the Citizen’s Advice CARMA IT System. The CARMA System is an evidence based research methodology for the resourcing of advice services.
In addition, Council has introduced a Quality Standard for all Council Funded Providers, by way of a “Charter Mark”, which is as follows:
Gold: Citizens Advice Bureau North West
Silver: Dove House Community Trust
Resource Centre Derry
Rosemount & District Welfare Rights
Derry City and Strabane District Council currently funds four Advice Service Providers as follows:-
Citizens Advice Bureau North West Gold Award Achieved
5th Floor Embassy Building
3 Strand Road
Telephone: 028 7136 2444
Citizens Advice Bureau North West
17 Dock Street
Telephone: 028 7138 2665
Dove House Community Trust Silver Award Achieved
32 Meenan Square
Telephone: 028 7126 9327
Resource Centre Derry Silver Award Achieved
Telephone: 028 7135 2832
Rosemount & District Welfare Rights Group Silver Award Achieved
Telephone: 028 7128 2829
In addition to the above, providers offer an Outreach Service at a range of locations within the Derry City and Strabane District Council area. In special circumstance Home Visits can be arranged.
Advice Providers cover the follow Core Services:
- Benefits Advice
- Consumer Advice
- Employment Advice
- Housing Advice
- Money and Debt
- Health and Disability
- Tribunal Representation
- Basic Immigration
- Referral to Specialist Organisation(s)
General Principles which cover Standard and Guidelines for Derry City and Strabane District Council Advice Centres
- From public/statutory bodies and political bodies.
- Advice provision without any prejudice, free from commercial, political or other limiting considerations.
- Suitable location
- Clearly identified
- Disability friendly
- Open at least ten hours per week (to suit local demand)
- Free of any symbolism which identifies it with any party political or sectarian perspective
- No charges or invitations or pressure to make donation
- Advice provided in privacy by trained advisor. No details to be passed on to other agencies without the client’s knowledge and consent.
- The Advice Centre(s) should provide an appropriate Management Committee to oversee the effective services and foster a spirit of co-operation amongst providers.
Head of Leisure and Community Development
Derry City and Strabane District Council
98 Strand Road
Telephone: 028 7125 3253