Local Democracy Week
Derry City and Strabane District Council is again offering a range of opportunities for local schools and colleges in the Derry and Strabane area to learn more about, and get involved in, local democracy. The Council’s programme of free events has been set out by the Member Services and Mayoral Officer and is outlined in this brochure.
What do young people get from the programme?
- Be listened to and express their view on political roles.
- Get to know their local Councillors and learn about their roles and responsibilities.
- Find out about the democratic and decision making processes and how they can take part.
What do Councillors get out of the programme?
- Promote their work in communities and explain their role and responsibilities.
- Tell young people how Derry City and Strabane District Council operates.
- Engage with young people on a face-to-face basis to increase their confidence in Councillors.
- Listen to young people’s views to gain a better understanding of what is important to them.
- Tell young people about how they can get involved in the local democratic process.
Local Democracy Week
Local Democracy Week is an annual European-wide campaign that aims, on a national level, to raise young people’s awareness of how local Council’s operate. It informs them about opportunities for taking part in local decision-making, and as a result, draws attention to how their involvement in local affairs is crucial in upholding local democracy. This year, Local Democracy Week takes place 10th – 16th October 2016.
Local Democracy Week 2016 – What is the event?
Last year, Derry City and Strabane District Council, hosted a series of events that were attended by almost 300 children and young people of all ages during Local Democracy Week.
This year, Derry City and Strabane District Council will be hosting a series of events held over 3 days for children and young people during Local Democracy Week. The events will take place on Wednesday 12th and Thursday 13th October 2016.
These events will provide hands-on education and involvement for all ages and will include:
- Find out how they can influence reshaping Derry City and Strabane District Council and have a say in it;
- Be listened to and express their views on political roles.
- Get to know their local Councillors and learn about their roles and responsibilities;
- Find out how the democratic and decision making processes work and how they can take part.
Who are the events aimed at?
There will be 2 half day events:
- Wednesday 12th October (morning) – for young people aged 15-18 years.
- Thursday 13th October (morning) – for primary school children of all ages.
The events will take place in the Guildhall, Derry, however, on request the events can also be scheduled to take place in the Derry Road Offices, Strabane.
If you would like to take part in this event, contact Karen Henderson, Member Services Officer on 028 71376527 or email firstname.lastname@example.org