• Text Colour:
  • C
  • C
  • C
  • C
  • Text Size: A A A


Ongoing Flooding

The Council can support affected householders with administration of the Scheme of Emergency Financial Assistance. This is a payment of £1,000 to assist those severely inconvenienced by flooding. In order to determine if you are eligible your property needs to be inspected by an Environmental Health Officer.

The Scheme of Emergency Financial Assistance is available at


Another support is the Council’s Home Safety Scheme. This offers bespoke advice on home accident prevention to those over 65, those who may be vulnerable or those with a child under the age of 5. A home safety visit includes advice on a number of topics including, carbon monoxide,  fire safety and preventing slips, trips and falls.  A number of onward referrals may be made and subject to criteria equipment may also be provided.

Email:  [email protected]

Tel:          028 71 253 253

To access any of Derry City and Strabane District Council’s supports please telephone

028 71 253 253 or email health&[email protected]

Department for Infrastructure

To Report Incidents of Flooding, please contact the flooding incident line on 0300 2000 100. Calls taken by the incident line staff are passed to the relevant responding Agency. Waiting times can be longer when there is a high volume of calls.

Department for Infrastructure – Rivers

DfI Rivers work to repair and maintain flood defences and grilles, clear flood debris and carry out


River and Watercourses related issues should be directed to the DfI Rivers area offices:

·      Coleraine: 028 7034 2357

District Council areas covered by this office - Derry and Strabane, Causeway Coast and Glens, Mid and East Antrim, Mid Ulster, Antrim and Newtownabbey

·      Omagh: 028 8225 4900

District Council areas covered by this office - Mid Ulster, Fermanagh and Omagh, Derry and Strabane

Department for Infrastructure – Roads

Reporting of issues on roads, footpaths, bridges, street lighting or blocked road gullies

should be directed to Department of Infrastructure Roads

Western Division    0300 200 7894         [email protected]

Northern Division   0300 200 7891        [email protected]


Any problems with Roads and Streets can be reported online through the NIDirect website www.nidirect.gov.uk/information-and-services/travel-transport-and-roads/problems-roads­and-streets

​​Northern Ireland Housing Executive

Flooding of Northern Ireland Housing Executive houses and advice in relation to emergency rehousing should be directed to the Northern Ireland Housing Executive.

Telephone 03448 920 901 or Repairs 0344 892 0901    www.nihe.gov.uk

Northern Ireland Water

NI Water’s primary focus is on the maintenance of water and wastewater services to its customers.

Burst water mains and blocked sewers should be directed to NI Water Waterline by dialling 03457 440 088.   www.niwater.com


​​The NIEA water pollution hotline is 0800 807 060. It is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. It also provides a dedicated emergency pollution email address at [email protected]­ni.gov.uk.

The general DAERA customer helpline is 0300 200 7852 or email: [email protected] uk.
For advice on animal health and welfare, farmers should contact DAERA on 0300 200 7840.

Ulster Farmer’s Union

Omagh Office

5 Gillygooley Rd, Omagh BT78 5PN
Tel: 028 8224 3057
Limavady Office
5 Connell Street Car Park, Limavady,    BT49 0DB                 
Tel: 028 77762996

Northern Ireland Agricultural Producers’ Association

15A Molesworth St, Cookstown BT80 8NX

Tel: 028 8676 5700

Rural Support

Dungannon Rd, Cookstown BT80 9AA

Tel: 0845 606 7607 



In an emergency dial 999. Call 101 for a non-emergency where you need advice and assistance.


Northern Ireland Fire and Rescue Service

In an emergency dial 999.


Northern Ireland Electricity

In the event of a power cut, fault or an outage contact Northern Ireland Electricity on 03457 643 643.
The helpline is open 24 hours to report a loss of electricity.  www.nie.co.uk


A fault can be reported to BT on  0800 800 150    www.bt.com

Red Cross

The Red Cross support the police, ambulance and fire and rescue services, local authorities and health authorities to help those most affected by UK crises. The Red Cross provides a wide range of services throughout the Northern Ireland and Isle of Man area.

12 Heron Road, Sydenham Business Park Belfast BT3 9LE
Tel: 028 9073 5350

Department for Communities

Finance Support Service

If you have a financial crisis you can apply for Discretionary Support or a Short Term Benefit Advance via a dedicated freephone service.

Tel: 0800 587 2750
Text number: 0800 587 2751 (for customers with hearing difficulties only)


Lifeline is the Northern Ireland crisis response helpline service for people who are experiencing distress and despair.  If you are or someone you know is in distress or despair contact Lifeline on 0808 808 8000.

Gas Safe Register

The Gas Safe Register should be used to find a gas engineer to inspect any gas appliance.  The Gas Safe Register can be accessed online at www.gassaferegister.co.uk  or by contacting 0800 408 5500.

Oil Firing Technical Association (OFTEC)

OFTEC have a Registration Scheme.  The Oil Firing Technical Association may be contacted to find if a domestic oil fired heating technician registered with the Scheme on 01473 626298 or on their website at www.oftec.org.uk

Royal Mail

The Royal Mail’s re-direction service can be accessed on www.royalmail.com/personal/receiving-mail/redirection/ or at the Post Office.

National House Building Council (NHBC)

The National House Building Council can be contacted on 0800 035 6422www.nhbc.co.uk

   Federation of Master Builders

The Federation of Master Builders can be contacted on 0330 3337777  www.fmb.co.uk


Flood Re is a joint Government and insurance industry initiative designed to help provide better access to affordable home insurance for those in high floodrisk areas across the UK. 

The scheme will:

  • Enable homeowners to find affordable insurance if an eligible property is at risk of flooding.
  • Help tenants to find affordable contents insurance if you live in an eligible property.
  • Help local authorities and communities across the UK to be better prepared for flooding.
  • Create a ‘level playing field’ for UK insurers, which means they can still offer homeowners an affordable range of appropriate policies to those homes at risk of flooding.

Properties will be eligible if they meet all of the following criteria:

  • The insurance contract must be held in the name of, or on trust for, one or more individuals or by the personal representative of an individual;
  • Used for residential purposes;
  • Have an individual premium;
  • The holder of the policy, or their immediate family, must live in the dwelling for some or all of the time (whether or not with others) or the dwelling must be unoccupied;
  • Built before 1st January 2009 (if a building is demolished, built pre 1st January 2009, and rebuilt, the new property is still eligible);
  • Located within the UK comprising England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland (excluding the Isle of Man and the Channel Islands).

Further information is available on the Flood Re Leaflet or at www.floodre.co.uk/homeowner

Advice can also be obtained from the Association of British Insurers (ABI) on 0207 600 3333  www.abi.org.uk

Oil Spills

Further information on Oil Spills is available at

Oil Spills

Oil Spills at Home

Oil Care

Advice Centres
Citizens Advice Dove House
Carnhill Resource Centre Service

Advice Providers offer support with;

  • Benefits Advice
  • Consumer Advice
  • Employment Advice
  • Housing Advice
  • Money and Debt
  • Health and Disability
  • Tribunal Representation
  • Basic Immigration
  • Referral to Specialist Organisation(s)

Citizens Advice Bureau North West
5th Floor, Embassy Building
3 Strand Road
Derry BT48 7BH
Tel: 028 7136 2444
Email: [email protected]

Citizens Advice Bureau North West
Unit 1, Spencer House
14-21 Spencer Road
Derry BT47 6QA
Tel: 028 71342536
Email: [email protected]

Citizens Advice Bureau North West
17 Dock Street
Strabane BT82 8EE
Tel: 028 7138 2665
Email: [email protected]
Resource Centre Derry
Derry BT48 8BA
Tel: 028 7135 2832
Email: [email protected]

Dove House Community Trust
32 Meenan Square
Derry BT48 9EX
Tel: 028 7126 9327
Email: [email protected]

Advice for Businesses

Advice and information including information on the Land and Property Services’ Hardship Scheme is available on the NI Business website www.nibusiness.co.uk

nibusiness.co.uk is a free service offered by Invest NI and is the official online channel for
business advice and guidance in Northern Ireland.

Food Safety Advice for Businesses


Additional Information

What To Do If a Flood Happens

Flooding In Your Area

Public Health Agency Flooding Guidance 

General Flooding Advice 

Northern Ireland Water Flooded by Sewage

Homeowner Flood Protection Grant Scheme