Give Help to Others
Helping family, friends and neighbours
In Derry City and Strabane District, we help each other out. Here is how you can continue helping others during COVID 19
- Do some food shopping
- Place an online shopping order for them or talk them through the process over the phone
- If people need digital help that you cannot provide encourage them to text DIGITALHELP to 67300 for help with email, attachments, online payments, shopping online, social media, and staying safe online
- Arrange a pharmacy delivery through the Community Pharmacy Scheme
- Support with general tasks like posting letters or putting the bins out
- Keeping in touch by phone or social media
If you are helping with food, you should remind people that they must only get what they need.
Helping people safely
- Limit the amount of time you spend outside of your home. Pick up essential items for others when you do your regular shop.
- Do not enter the house or go on a car journey with someone who is self-isolating.
- Leave shopping on the doorstep, stay a safe distance (2 metres) until they have been collected.
- Wash your hands regularly with soap and warm water for at least 20 seconds.
- Do not place yourself in situations where you feel unsafe, for instance helping late at night.
Providing emotional support
Self-isolation can be lonely. We can help each other by staying in touch.
- Regular calls, text messages and contact via social media.
- Talk people through the setup for video calls so they can connect with their friends and family remotely.
- Encourage people to stay mentally and physically active with activities such as cooking, reading, gardening, online learning or watching films.
- If people are well enough, encourage them to do some light exercise and keep active around the home.