Derry City & Strabane - Beware risk of carbon monoxide poisoning this summer 




  • Text Colour:
  • C
  • C
  • C
  • C
  • Text Size: A A A

Beware risk of carbon monoxide poisoning this summer

16 July 2020

Carbon monoxide (CO) can be a hidden killer during the summer months, and with many of us holidaying at home this year on camping, caravanning or boating trips, the Public Health Agency (PHA) is urging holidaymakers to be aware of the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning in enclosed spaces.

While carbon monoxide is usually associated with domestic fossil fuel-burning appliances, incidents and even deaths can also occur in caravans and tents, on boats and in other small places.

Hilary Johnston, Health and Social Wellbeing Improvement Manager at the PHA said: “Carbon monoxide can build up very quickly in enclosed spaces to levels that could prove fatal.

“Faulty gas cookers, appliances or petrol-powered generators have led to carbon monoxide poisoning. Carbon monoxide has also been linked to deaths where people have brought gas and charcoal barbecues into tents and other small enclosed spaces, sometimes in an attempt to keep warm.”

It is important for people to be aware of the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning and ways to reduce risks.

“Carbon monoxide is a colourless, tasteless and odourless gas that is non-irritating and as a result can be very hard to detect”, said Hilary. The signs and symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are often mistaken for other illnesses, such as food poisoning or flu.

“Anyone who suspects they have carbon monoxide poisoning should immediately go outside into the fresh air and seek urgent medical attention, “she added.

Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include:

  • headaches;
  • dizziness;
  • breathlessness;
  • nausea and vomiting;
  • exhaustion;
  • drowsiness;
  • light-headedness;
  • collapse and loss of consciousness.


Following some safety steps can reduce your risk:

  • Install an audible carbon monoxide alarm in your caravan, holiday home or boat. These alarms have a limited life span, so if you've had one for a while, please check to see if they are working properly – it might be time to buy a new one;
  • Never take a barbecue inside;
  • Never use a fuel-burning appliance to heat your tent, awning, caravan or boat. (Gas and kerosene heaters – unless they are permanently fitted in a caravan or motorhome – should only be used outside);
  • Never run a gas, petrol or diesel-powered generator inside;
  • Don’t cook inside your tent or awning;
  • Don’t use any other gas, charcoal, liquid or solid fuel appliances inside a tent or awning. Gas-powered fridges and lamps, for example, also need plenty of ventilation to prevent them producing poisonous carbon monoxide. Tents and wnings aren’t generally designed with this in mind;
  • Always have gas appliances in your caravan or boat serviced regularly.


For more information visits