Gwyn family visit new Brooke Park
08 August 2016
Members of the Gwyn family who travelled to Derry at the weekend from locations across the world, where they were given a sneak preview of the ongoing regeneration work at Brooke Park. Thirty descendants of the park’s founder John Gwyn were welcomed by the Mayor of Derry City and Strabane District, Alderman Hilary McClintock, who took them on a tour of the grounds which includes the newly built Gwyn’s Pavilion, named in memory of their ancestor.
John Gwyn bequeathed £40,000 to establish the city’s first orphanage in 1839, and Gwyn’s Institute was one of the city’s best known buildings occupying the site at Brooke Park for well over a century. Relatives travelled from New Zealand, Norway, Australia, Scotland and Ireland to see the new Gwyn’s Pavilion which now stands on the original site. The building continues John Gwyn’s legacy and reaffirms the historic connection with the Victorian park’s origins as the new park prepares to open in early Autumn.