Derry City & Strabane - Mayor urges awareness as part of Electrical Safety Week




  • Text Colour:
  • C
  • C
  • C
  • C
  • Text Size: A A A

Mayor urges awareness as part of Electrical Safety Week

17 November 2020
Mayor of Derry City and Strabane District Council, Cllr Brian Tierney, has urged the public to be careful about purchasing electrical equipment this Christmas.
The message is being delivered as part of Electrical Safety Week, which takes place from Monday 23rd to Sunday 29th November.
Consumer safety charity Electrical Safety First has carried out some research for the campaign which shows that three out of five consumers in Northern Ireland will be shopping on online marketplaces for what they see as 'safer' Christmas shopping, but the charity is warning shoppers that they could be swapping one safety risk for another. Multiple investigations by Electrical Safety First have found dangerous electrical products, which present a serious fire risk, can easily be bought from third party sellers via online marketplaces.
Mayor Tierney said that anyone buying electrical items this Christmas should shop locally knowing that they should have more confidence in what they are purchasing, and if any issues arise, they stand a better chance of getting these addressed.
"Electrical Safety First's research has shown that nearly two thirds (63%) of us in NI will buy from online marketplaces this Christmas, and almost 60% are planning to use these websites more than usual", explains Mayor Tierney.
"Electrical Safety First's research indicates that over a quarter of us are planning to buy an electrical item as a gift this Christmas – yet it has previously found that in the UK three out of five fake electricals are purchased online, with a third of buyers experiencing major problems with the item.
"So, I'm joining with Electrical Safety First to urge everyone across Derry and Strabane to reduce their chances of buying dangerous electricals by shopping locally for electrical items this Christmas. By doing so you are also supporting a local business in what has been an incredibly difficult year for all.
"A fire hazard is a risk that nobody wants to take, so make sure you are buying from a trustworthy source and shop locally."
For more advice on how to shop safe this Christmas visit,