Order a copy of a Birth, Death, Marriage or Civil Partnership Certificate
When you register a life event such as a birth, death, marriage or civil partnership, you can purchase certificates for £8.00 each at the time of registration. However, you cannot return at a later date or even on the same day as the registration to purchase additional certificates.
If you need an additional birth, death, marriage or civil partnership certificate, you need to order and purchase the additional certificate from the General Register Office in Belfast.
General Register Office, NISRA, Colby House, Stranmillis Court, Belfast, BT9 5RR
Records of all births, stillbirths, adoptions, deaths, marriages and civil partnerships are held by the General Register Office.
- Birth certificates are available from 1864 to present.
- Adoption certificates are available from 1931 to present.
- Marriage certificates are available from 1845 for registered non-Roman Catholic marriages and all registered marriages from 1864 onwards
- Death certificates are available from 1864 to present.
- Civil partnership certificates are available from 2005 to present.
There are a number of ways you can obtain a certified copy of a birth, adoption, death, marriage or civil partnership certificate:
If paying by debit / debit card:
- Order Online
- Call into the General Register Office. There is an extra fee for same day service.
- Telephone 0300 200 7890
If you do not have a debit/credit card:
You can call into any local registration office to collect an application form and send the completed form with a cheque or Postal Order to the General Register Office, Belfast.
For more information, including delivery times, same day service and fees, contact the General Register Office