Dogs on a Lead Order
The Clean Neighbourhoods and Environment Act (Northern Ireland) 2011
The Dog Control Orders (Prescribed Offences and Penalties, etc.) Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2012 (S.R. 2012 No. )
The Dogs on Leads (Derry City and Strabane District Council) Order 2020
Derry City and Strabane District Council hereby makes the following Order:
- This Order comes into operation on 5th April 2021
- This Order applies to the land specified in Schedule B
- (1) Any person in charge of a dog is guilty of an offence if at any time on any land which this Order applies they do not keep the dog on a lead of not more than 1.8metres (6 feet) in length, unless
(a) the person has reasonable excuse for failing to do so; or,
(b) the owner, occupier or other person or authority having control of the land, has consented (generally or specifically) to his failing to do so.
(2) For the purpose of this article –
(a) a person who habitually has a dog in their possession shall be taken to be in charge of the dog at any time unless at that time some other person is in charge of the dog
- A person guilty of an offence under article 3 shall be liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding level 3 on the standard scale.
Dated this 5th day of April 2021
The Common Seal of Derry City and Strabane District Council
Affixed hereto in the presence of: -
Mayor of Derry City and Strabane District Council
This Order applies to the following areas within the Derry City and Strabane District Council area:
All shared use pathways:
- In our parks
- The city urban greenway (i.e. extending from Boomhall pathway and Foyle Bridge along
both sides of the river to Nixon’s Corner and Newbuildings)
- Faughanview, Drumahoe
- Kilfennan Valley Park
- Swinging Bridge, Sion Mills
- Vaughan’s Holm, Newtownstewart
- Dergy Castle Park, Castlederg.
It will also include:
- Council owned cemeteries (both Active and Closed)
- Brooke Park, Derry (entire park area)
- Council owned lands surrounding Council Leisure Centres and Community Centres; including associated car parking.
Exemptions: Land held by the Department of Agriculture and Rural Development for the purpose of any of its functions under the Forestry Act (Northern Ireland) 2010 (NI) is not subject to any of the above Dog Control Orders