Dogs on a Lead by Direction Order
The Clean Neighbourhoods and Environment Act (Northern Ireland) 2011
The Dog Control Orders (Prescribed Offences and Penalties, etc.) Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2012 (S.R. 2012 No. )
The Dogs on Leads by Direction (Derry City and Strabane District Council) Order 2020
Derry City and Strabane District Council hereby makes the following Order:
- This Order comes into operation on 5th April 2021
- This Order applies to the land specified in the Schedule A
- In this Order “an authorised officer of a district council” means an employee of the district council who is authorised in writing by the district council for the purpose of giving directions under this Order.
- (1) Any person in charge of a dog is guilty of an offence if, at any time, on any land to which this Order applies, the person does not comply with a direction received from an authorised officer of the borough council to put and keep the dog on a lead of not more than 1.8 meters (6 feet) in length, unless—
- the person has a reasonable excuse for failing to do so; or
- the owner, occupier or other person or authority having control of the land has consented (generally or specifically) to the person failing to do so.
(2) For the purposes of this Article-
(a) a person who habitually has a dog in their possession shall be taken to be in charge of the dog at any time unless at that time some other person is in charge of the dog;
(b) an authorised officer of the district council may only give a direction under this Order to put and keep a dog on a lead if the authorised officer believes that such restraint is reasonably necessary to prevent a nuisance or behaviour by the dog likely to cause annoyance or disturbance to any other person on any land to which this Order applies or the worrying or disturbance of any animal or bird.
- A person guilty of an offence under Article 4 is liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding level 3 on the standard scale.
Dated this 5th day of April 2021
The Common Seal of Derry City and Strabane District Council
Affixed hereto in the presence of:-
Mayor of Derry City and Strabane District Council
This Order applies to all land within Derry City and Strabane District Council which is:
- open to the air; and
- is land to which the public are entitled or permitted to have access with or without payment.
Download Dogs on a Lead by Direction Order