Food Safety Management System / HACCP
COVID-19 - Business advice regarding food deliveries
All food businesses are legally required to have a food safety management/HACCP in system in place.
HACCP which means means Hazard Analysis Critical Control Points. This is a process that helps you look at how you handle food and introduce procedures to make sure the food you produce is safe to eat.
HACCP involves the following seven steps:
· Identify what could go wrong (the hazards).
· Identify the most important points where things can go wrong (the critical control points – CCPs).
· Set critical limits at each CCP (e.g. cooking temperature/time).
· Set up checks at CCPs to prevent problems occurring (monitoring).
· Decide what to do if something goes wrong (corrective action).
· Prove that your HACCP Plan is working (verification).
· Keep records of all of the above (documentation).
Your HACCP plan must be kept up to date. You will need to review it from time to time, especially whenever something in your food operation changes.
Remember that, even with a HACCP plan in place, you must comply with all requirements of current food safety legislation.
If you are an owner you are directly responsible for food safety in your business.
After registering your business with the EHD, a copy of the FSA’s Safe Catering pack can be given at a cost of £10. Using a safe catering pack within your business helps you to: -
- Comply with food hygiene law.
- Show how you make food safely.
- Train Staff.
- Protect your businesses reputation; and
- Improve your business.
Safe Catering takes in the principles of HACCP.
You should discuss with your manager how to make safe catering work in your business.
If you are a manger, talk to the owner of the business about safe catering. If you are responsible for the day-to-day running of the business, then you are the best person to work through the document, talking to your staff.
If you are a staff member you must work together with management to make food that is safe to eat.
On each routine food hygiene inspection the Environmental Health Officer will review your businesses food safety management system.
MyHACCP is aimed at small food manufacturing businesses. As a tool MyHACCP will be able to help you produce a food safety management system that shows how your business identifies and controls any hazards that may occur in the food you manufacture.
Safe Food Handling for Butchers
Food Hygiene Inspection
Setting up a food business
For further information contact
Food Team on 02871 253253