Derry City & Strabane - Environmental Health
Health & Community Wellbeing




  • Text Colour:
  • C
  • C
  • C
  • C
  • Text Size: A A A

Mobile Catering

Mobile catering involves using catering vehicles, marquees, stalls and other temporary structures for food preparation and serving food (including drinks).

Mobile caterers operate on land owned by the council or privately owned land on a temporary or regular basis.

Locations include: street/public highway, markets, community events, retail parks, car parks, fairs, parks and green spaces, outdoor shows, charitable events, established/permanent venues, sporting and entertainment venues, school events, music festivals and private functions.

Your responsibilities

As a mobile caterer you must ensure that the food you provide does not become contaminated during storage or preparation as this can result in food poisoning.

Setting up a mobile business;

In order to set up a mobile business in Derry/Strabane you will need to:

1. Register your food business

Please note:

Where a mobile catering vehicle or unit is kept or stored overnight at a property within Derry/Strabane, it is that address which must be registered with Derry City and Strabane District Council.

Food Registration Form

If the vehicle or unit is kept or stored overnight at a property outside Derry/Strabane, then you must register that address with the relevant Council for that area.

2. Comply with all the relevant food hygiene and safety legislation

You should operate in accordance with the standards specified in The Chartered Institute of Environmental Health (CIEH) National guidance for Outdoor and Mobile Catering

T7 &T8 Checklists

The Food Standards Agency (FSA) website also has useful information about starting a catering business.

 Advice for Mobile Vehicles Operating Within Council Areas.


3. Comply with all relevant health and safety legislation

For information on the above contact the Health and Safety team on email or by telephone on 02871 253253

Information on Gas Safety

You can find additional information on the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) website.

4. Street Trading/Licensing

If you wish to trade on a designated street in Northern Ireland, you must obtain a licence from your local district council.

Applications must be made in writing and will be subject to a fee.

For further information visit the Licensing Section or telephone Licensing Department on 02871 253253


Relevant Pages 

Setting up a Food Business

Food Registration

Food System Management System

Food Hygiene Inspections



Telephone 028 71253 253