Background to the local PEACE IV Programme
Wondering how to benefit from the £6.2m PEACE IV local programme?’ Sign Up now for our Newsletter to find out.
Newsletter Sign Up >
What is the Peace IV Programme?
The Peace IV Programme is an EU funded programme designed to support peace and reconciliation in Northern Ireland and the border region. Our guiding vision locally is that by 2023, Derry and Strabane will be a peaceful and shared society where good relations is embedded, our communities inclusive and connected and where all cultures and traditions are respected. Details of the entire peace programme are available on by clicking the following link: www.seupb.eu
This webpage has details and updates of the programme managed by Derry City and Strabane District Council under objective 4.1 which is the element of the overall peace programme which focuses on ‘Building Positive Relations at a Local Level. For more information, please contact the Peace Team as follows:
Sue Divin, Programme Manager, [email protected] or Tel: 02871253253 (Ext 8218)
MaryClaire Kerlin, Project Officer [email protected] or Tel: 028 71253253 (Ext 6658)
Or email us at [email protected]
PEACE IV Plan for 2014-2020
Derry City and Strabane District Council has been provided with the opportunity to develop a new PEACE IV Plan for the area and bid for €7.8m.
The EU Programme for Peace and Reconciliation is a unique structural funds programme aimed at reinforcing progress towards a peaceful and stable society in Northern Ireland and the Border Region of Ireland.
The PEACE IV programme will provide support to projects that contribute towards the promotion of greater levels of peace and reconciliation. The Programme will also place a strong emphasis on promoting cross community relations and understanding to create a cohesive society.
The PEACE IV Programme will run over a five year period until 2021 and will build upon the experiences of previous PEACE programmes by tackling the remaining challenges that exist in the area in building positive relationships and developing shared spaces and services.
There are four priority areas for the PEACE IV Programme where it wants to make a significant and lasting change. These are Shared Education, Children and Young People, Shared Spaces and Services and Building Positive Relations.
The focus of the Derry City and Strabane District PEACE IV Plan is on the following three priority areas:
- Children and Young People
- Shared Spaces and Services
- Building Positive Relations.
To follow is an overview of the priority areas :
Children and Young People
- The Programme will invest in children and young people aged 0-24 so that they can reach their potential and maximise their contribution to a more cohesive society. It will bring about change in the form of clear, meaningful and sustainable ‘distance travelled’ for individual young people in terms of good relations, personal development and citizenship.
Shared Spaces and Services
- The Programme will support local initiatives with the aims of making public spaces in cities, towns and villages more inclusive; this will often involve addressing sensitive topics around parades, flags, emblems, graffiti and other issues which can serve to intimidate and make some members of society, whether based on religion, race or other factors feel unwelcome in some areas.
Building Positive Relations
- The Programme will promote positive relations characterised by respect, where cultural diversity is celebrated and people can live, learn and socialise together, free from prejudice, hate and intolerance. The Programme will support actions to facilitate the full participation of women and also target those particularly impacted by the legacy of the troubles/conflict.
To be kept informed and updated on the development of the local plan please contact MaryClaire Kerlin [email protected] or Tel: 028 71253253 Ext (6658)
For more information on the PEACE IV Programme check out www.seupb.eu and a Citizen’s Summary on the PEACE IV Programme 2014-2020 can be found at http://www.seupb.eu/Libraries/PEACE_IV_Programme_Guidance/PIV_CitizensSummary_English_Version10.sflb.ashx