St Columb’s Cathedral
Saint Columb’s Cathedral, was the first Cathedral built after the Reformation. It is the city’s most historic building containing displays of artefacts from the Siege.
A fine collection of silver Communion plate, as well as information on famous personalities, e.g. Cecil Francis Alexander (the internationally renowned hymn writer), the Earl Bishop and the philosopher George Berkeley. It is dedicated to the name of St. Columba (Columb),the Ulster monk who established a Christian settlement here in the sixth century.
St. Columb’s Cathedral was built in 1633 by William Parrot for the Honourable The Irish Society and is in the Planter Gothic Style. The current tower and main building are that of the original Cathedral, with the spire being added in 1821. The Chancel was added in 1887 and the Chapter House in 1910.
The Cathedral is widely recognised locally, nationally and internationally for its active promotion of ecumenical and bridge-building activities and this role is reflected in the regard in which the building is held as a religious venue which is acceptable to all sections of the community.
Contact: Ian Bartlett