What will I bring with me?
This is completed by the person who is registering the birth
What documents will I receive?
Once you have registered your child's birth, you will receive:
- One free short birth certificate.
Full Birth Certificates are available at the time of the Registration for a fee of £8 per copy.
- HS123 infant registration form so you can register with your family doctor
- (HS123 forms are only given to a child whose usual residence is within Northern Ireland)
Birth Registration cannot be easily changed once completed. When you attend the Registrar’s Office, it is important that you CHECK the details of the Registration before signing the Birth Entry.
What is the purpose of registration?
The records provide positive information about individuals and are used for many legal and administrative purposes (for example; National Insurance, Education, Transfer of Property, Employment, obtaining a Passport, etc). They provide valuable statistics (for example, Fertility Rates, Population Estimates and future planning of Health and Education, etc). The statistics are published yearly in the Registrar General Annual Report.
To order a Certified Copy of a Birth Certificate after the time of Registration
Certified copies of all births registered in Northern Ireland may be obtained Online
or by contacting
General Register Office,
NISRA, Colby House, Stranmillis Court, Belfast, BT9 5RR.
Tel : 0300 200 7890
Re-registration of birth
- If you want to add the father’s name after the initial registration, please complete GRO 12 Form.
- If you married the natural father of the baby and want to change the child's name or mother's name on the certificate, please complete the GRO 15 Form
Recorded name changes
- If you were born or legally adopted in Northern Ireland, please complete the GRO 230 and GRO 231 Form
You can obtain further information and download forms from https://www.nidirect.gov.uk