Good Relations Week 2020 >
The Good Relations Team in the Derry City and Strabane District Council primarily works under the good relations legislation from Section 75 (2) of the NI Act 1998. This is about the promotion of Good Relations between people of different religious belief, race or political opinion. The team works on the delivery of Good Relations projects and initiatives across the Council area including Cultural Diversity, Challenging Sectarianism and Racism, Dealing with the Past, Shared Space/Contested Space, Interfaces, Bonfires and Alternatives, as well as work with Black and Minority Ethnic (BME) communities.
The work of the Good Relations Team is aligned with the objectives of the “Together: Building a United Community” strategy (T:BUC) launched in 2013 by The Executive Office
The T:BUC Four key Strategic Priorities are:
· Our Children and Young People
· Our Shared Community
· Our Safe Community
· Our Cultural Expression.
Derry City and Strabane District Council deliver a Good Relations action plan, which sets out local initiatives that will promote Good Relations locally under the four key priorities identified in the T:BUC Strategy. The priorities can be delivered through a number of mechanisms such as Good Relations Grant Aid, partnership projects with local community groups, provision of training courses, workshops delivered in Primary and Post Primary schools, Community Relations and Cultural Awareness Week and delivery of events aimed at promoting good relations
Our Good Relations Programme is 75% part-financed through The Executive Office with the remaining 25% financial commitment being met by the Council
The Strategic and Local Growth Plans is a new process led by Derry City & Strabane District Council in conjunction with partners and communities to develop and implement a shared, long-term vision to improve the social, economic and environmental well-being of the Derry City & Strabane District area. Eight Local Growth Plans have been also been developed for Strabane Town and the seven District Electoral Areas (Ballyarnett, Derg, Faughan, Foyleside, Sperrin, The Moor and Waterside). The four GRO’s in DCSDC have two areas each to develop GR projects and deal with/resolve any issues highlighted and also deliver district wide initiatives from the action plan.
World on your doorstep Publication
"Please see link below to ‘World on your doorstep’ that provides a list of BME community organisations that work across the Derry and Strabane District Council highlighting the diverse projects and initiatives that are being rolled out. This booklet was compiled by the Good Relations team in Derry City and Strabane District Council, in partnership with the groups listed and the Foyle Race Equality Forum.
To download Booklet click here
Contact with Derry City and Strabane District Good Relations Team:
Please see below Officers allocated to particular community planning areas and contact details:
Ballyarnett and Foyleside DEAs
Angela Askin Tel: 02871253253 ext 8220 [email protected]
Waterside and Derg DEAs
Amanda Biega Tel: 02871253253 ext 4298 [email protected]ystrabane.com
Sperrin and Faughan DEAs
Pauline O’Neill Tel: 02871253253 ext 8221 [email protected]
Strabane Town and Moor DEA
Carol Stewart Tel: 02871253253 ext 8219 [email protected]