Your General Waste Collection Service
The black wheelie bin is for general, non-recycable waste. It can be used to dispose of general household waste that is not allowed in either the Blue or Brown Bin. See our 2019 Recycling Guide for info on what goes in what bin.
If you have a large brown wheelie bin with a mixed food and green waste collection service please refer to the Large Brown Wheelie Bin 2019 Recycling Guide.
Waste from the black bin typically goes to landfill which is expensive and has an impact on the environment, so Council encourage people to recycle as much as possible using our Blue Bin recycling service or Brown Bin/Caddy food waste collection service.
- Check the day your bin will be collected on our 2019 Bin collection calendar
- On the day of refuse collection you should wheel your bin to the edge of the kerb convenient to where the vehicle usually stops.
- Please leave the bin with the handles facing the road.
- This should be done as early as possible on the day of the collection and not later than 7.30 am.
- The wheeled bin has sufficient capacity and this should mean that there should be no need for additional refuse in black bags to be placed with the bin during weekly collection.
- Do not deposit such materials as stones, concrete, trees, clays or car engines in the bin ( all of which have been found in wheeled bins recently), as these damage the mechanism of the collection vehicle.
- If you cannot easily move the bin it is unreasonable to expect the collector to do so.
- If you experience any difficulty or problem with the service provided, you should contact us on 028 7137 4107 to register your problem or complaint so that the appropriate action is taken.
Please do not put the following items in your wheelie bin:
Hazardous/Special Waste such as:
- Motor oil
- Motor vehicle batteries
- Asbestos material
- Used paint
- Building and construction waste
- Dead Animals
- Medical/Clinical Waste