It is an exciting time for children and young people in the Derry City and Strabane District as we start the journey towards a Child Friendly Community. The vision is that we live in a community where the voices, needs, priorities and rights of children and young people are considered and taken seriously.
In a Child Friendly Community all children:
- Have a say about decisions that affect them
- Can express their views freely and are encouraged and supported to do that
- Can access good health, education, transport and other services
- Feel safe and protected from discrimination and harm
- Can enjoy public spaces and meet other children and young people freely
DCSDC and the Western Health Social Care Trust (WHSCT) are working together as lead partners on behalf of the Western Areas Outcome Group (WAOG).
Activities to date:
- Pre-discovery workshop: In April 2018 over 30 partners from the statutory, community and voluntary sector took part in our pre-discovery workshop. This set out the journey and gives partners an opportunity to start contributing to shape the action plan.
- Training Days: In May/June 2018 over 50 partners from the statutory, community and voluntary sector who are involved in the governance and operations of the programme took part in the ‘Introduction to Child Rights in Practice’ training. This gave partners the opportunity to gain knowledge and an understanding of children’s human rights, the principles of a child rights based approach and explore the practical application of a child rights-based approach to working with children and young people.
- The UK Committee for UNICEF (UNICEF UK) Child Friendly Communities Launch: The UNICEF UK Child Friendly Communities launch will take place during the Foyle Maritime Festival from 10.00am to 9.00pm on Thursday 19th July 2018.
10.00 am - 3.00 pm: The NI Commissioner for Children and Young People, Koulla Yiasouma, will join local young people, senior political, statutory and voluntary sector partners and local media to celebrate the launch of the Child Friendly Communities Programme upon the UNICEF UK Clipper boat. Invitees will have the opportunity to learn more about the UNICEF UK Child Friendly Communities Programme and take part in one of four motor boat experiences offered by the UNICEF UK Clipper Crew.
(Closed event, invitee only)
12.00 noon - 4.00 pm: Captain Crafties Corner will provide arts and crafts for children and their families to explore and share their views on a Child Friendly Community.
(Open to all children and families)
6.00 pm - 9.00 pm: The Youth19 takeover stage will provide the opportunity for local 14-18 year olds to perform. Local bands and musicians will take over the bandstand and impress their audience with their musical talents.
(Target age group: 14-18 years)
- Youth Discovery Day: November 2018. Full details to be confirmed
- Community Discovery Day: November 2018. Full details to be confirmed
Get the latest news
Subscribe to our Children and Young People emailing list at the link below and stay up to date on Children and Young Peoples initiatives.
Subscribe to Children and Young Peoples’ News