Derry City & Strabane District Council in conjunction with the District Sports Forum is pleased to announce the return of the popular Sports Awards programme in 2024. Council will be hosting a celebration evening for all winners on Thursday 30 May in the Guildhall, Derry. This year, we will have 15 categories to help identify and publicly recognise the achievements of those individuals, teams and clubs that have contributed to sport in the Derry City & Strabane District Council area from 1st January 2023 to 31st December 2023.
Categories for the 2023-2024 Sports Awards are as follows:
- Coach of the Year
- Community Coach of the Year
- Children’s Coach of the Year
- Young Coach of the Year
- Female Coach of the Year
- Disability Coach of the Year
- Sports Star of the Year
- Young Male Sports Star of the Year
- Young Female Sports Star of the Year
- School Team of the Year
- Team of the Year
- Sports Star of the Year with a disability
- Special Award
- Club of the Year
- Hall of Fame
Guidelines for Nominations
- Sports persons must reside in the Derry City and Strabane District Council area. Students with a Derry City and Strabane District Council home address may be considered on merit.
- In order to be considered, all nominees must be involved in an amateur status capacity in a sport which is recognised by Sport Northern Ireland and /or the Irish Sports Council.
- Please note that only information included on this nomination form will go forward for assessment.
- Nominations will be assessed by an awards panel, which will seek advice from external sources where necessary and appropriate.
- The nominations will be assessed on the basis of the individual’s contribution to enhancing community and sporting life based on set criteria within the last year.
- The nominator, the nominee, a team representative and a guest will receive an invitation to the awards ceremony.
- Organisations, local sports clubs, schools, youth clubs and individuals may make nominations.
Nominations must be submitted online by Friday 2nd February 2024 at 4pm. For more information on each category and to make a nomination, please click on the buttons below.
Submit a nomination
If you have any questions or queries about the awards please emaiil [email protected]