Blind Cord Safety
- 32 children have died as a result of blind cord accidents in the UK between 1999 and 2015 the children were aged between 15 months and 36 months.
WHY DO BLIND CORDS POSE SUCH A RISK?
Children become entangled on hanging cords when playing, climbing or exploring near window blinds.
Toddlers' windpipes have also not yet fully developed and are smaller and less rigid than those of adults and older children. This means that they suffocate far more quickly if their necks are constricted.
To reduce the risk posed by looped cords, including blind cords, cords should be kept out of the reach of children.
HOW CAN WE HELP?
Consumer protection will continue to work with businesses to ensure that they are meeting the full legal requirements. In 2014 a new standard (EN13120) was introduced which put in place stricter requirements on businesses manufacturing, selling and installing new internal window blinds.
Our Home Safety Officers help to raise awareness of the dangers of blind cords and can supply blind safety devices for blinds already in your home through our home safety equipment scheme.
FURTHER INFORMATION AVAILABLE:
- A Frequently Asked Questions section is also available by clicking here.
- To download a free copy of the Make it Safe leaflet in several languages- click here.
- You can also search for a ‘make it safe member’ or ‘make it safe dealer’ by clicking here.
- The British Blind and Shutter Association have produced a video on window blind safety. The video can be accessed using the following link : https://vimeo.com/user7269955/review/141160650/cc3bd695b2.
- Please see link below to a very moving and powerful 7 minute video clip featuring the Saba Family from Portadown who recently lost their son Bryan, after he became entangled in blind cords. www.youtube.com/watch?v=30ziiHQZR5s&feature=youtu.be
- Dean Regan Russell's life and tragic death, as told by his grandfather Martin Regan https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JoV7GoTuTQ
For further information contact the Health & Housing Team:
T: 028 71253253