Skip to main content

High Hedges

High Hedges

The High Hedges Act (Northern Ireland) 2011 gives Councils in Northern Ireland the powers to deal with complaints about high hedges that block light to a neighbouring properties.

There are a number of criteria that a hedge must meet before someone can make a complaint. For the law to apply the hedge must:
• Be made up of a line of 2 or more evergreen or semi-evergreen plants, trees or shrubs which are acting as a barrier to light
• Reach a height of at least 2 metres from ground level on hedge owner’s side
• Have no significant gaps 

You cannot make a complaint about:
• non-evergreen hedges or trees
• trees within a forest or woodland
• Roots, dangerous trees, or leaves.

Where you have a problem with a high hedge that blocks light  you will be expected to have tried to resolve the issue informally and amicably BEFORE a complaint is made to Council and demonstrate (for example by providing letters to the hedge owner) that you have made every reasonable attempt to engage with your neighbour. 

If resolving the issue with your neighbour informally does not work and you are coming to Council as a last resort, you can submit a complaint.  You will need to pay a fee of £50 however if your complaint is upheld, this fee will be refunded to you. 

Council will not negotiate between neighbours but will investigate and make a judgement as to whether the hedge is adversely affecting the complainant’s reasonable enjoyment of his or her property.

If Council decides that the complaint is justified, it may serve a notice on the hedge owner specifying what needs to be done to manage the hedge.

The following information may be of assistance to you

• High Hedges What You Need to Know! 
Q & A Briefing 
• Guidance For Complainants
Guidance for Hedge Owners

 High Hedge Act (NI) 2011 Technical Guidance   
• High Hedge Complaint Application Form  

Contact Details
For further information please contact the Health, Housing and Public Conveniences Team
T:  028 71253253
E: [email protected] 

Want to know more about what is happening in the council area?

Enter your email address and get them direct to your inbox