As civic leader, Derry City & Strabane District Council is responsible for ensuring adequate provisions and facilities are available for the health, safety and well-being of the public and participants at public events.
Derry City & Strabane District Council established a Safety Advisory Group (SAG) with other statutory agencies to provide guidance and advice on ‘best practice’ on how to develop a coordinated approach to safety management for organisers of public events.
Parades controlled by the Parades commission are not covered by SAG.
Examples of relevant public events that come within the scope of this guidance are:
- Sporting events.
- Firework displays.
- Community carnivals.
- Trade shows.
- Public including Council events such as Halloween, Christmas Lights Switch On, St Patrick’s Day, Legacy Events
- Open air concerts and musical festivals.
- Historic re-enactments.
- Street parties.
- Horse/dog/pet and agricultural shows.
- Fairs/ fetes
- Large scale religious events.
- Large scale company parties.
- Road races/walks
- Outdoor events where mass gathering of people or gathering of people in a restricted area/zone.
Derry City & Strabane District Council will strive with our partners to promote reasonable practical standards of public safety at all relevant public events held within the Council district by ensuring adequate provisions are in place. This will be achieved proportionately by:
- Promoting high levels of health, safety and well-being at events.
- Promoting good practice in health, safety and well-being planning for events through auditing of Event Plans.
- Ensuring events cause minimal adverse impact to the environment, economy and human well-being.