Skip to main content

Safety Information


Button cell batteries contain harmful chemicals that, if swallowed by small children, can get stuck in the throat, lead to severe burns, or even result in death. 

A recent fatality of a 1-year-old boy in Scotland has again highlighted the dangers associated with button batteries when ingested 

Button batteries are used in a wide range of toys, gadgets, remote controls, scales and watches.  

Follow the below tips to ensure your home is as safe as possible: 

·         Check your home for button battery powered items

·         Ensure children do not have access to these devices

·         Recycle dead button batteries promptly

·         Place extra batteries out of children’s reach in a secure locked drawer.

·         Educate older children about the dangers 

Click on the following links for further information and guidance on button cell battery safety: 

Button Batteries - Be Aware!

Using Button and Coin Batteries

Button Batteries 

If you would like further advice in relation to button batteries, please contact the consumer protection team on 02871 253 253 or by email [email protected]


Serious injuries are arising from the ingestion of magnets, particularly among children and young people.

When two or more of the magnets are swallowed, they can stick together causing damage to the digestive system by cutting off blood flow and rapidly killing intestinal tissue

Between 2019 and 2020, 19 children were admitted to the Royal Belfast Hospital for Sick Children having ingested magnets (RoSPA).  Over half of the children were young teenagers using magnetic products to imitate piercings in or around their mouths.  Three of the cases required surgery.

In April 2021, environmental health officers from local councils in Northern Ireland inspected over 300 business selling magnetic products and submitted toys, jewellery and accessories for analysis.

79% of the products tested failed to meet relevant safety requirements due to small parts, excessive magnetic flux, lack of appropriate warnings and other labelling issues. 

Councils are working with the Office of Product Safety and Standards (OPSS) to highlight the dangers of products containing magnets and to advise consumers to:

• keep products that contain high powered magnets away from children 

• be aware of signs that could indicate ingestion like vomiting and stomach pain

• act fast to get immediate medical treatment 

Details on the OPSS ‘Nil By Mouth’ campaign can be found at Child safety: Nil By Mouth Ingestion Product Safety - GOV.UK (



Derry City & Strabane District Council are reminding people to follow the safety advice issued by Whirlpool regarding Hotpoint, Indesit and Creda tumble dryers.

Whirlpool identified a potential concern with two types of tumble dryers manufactured between April 2004 and September 2015. In some rare cases, excess fluff can come into contact with the heating element and present a risk of fire. In general terms Running a washing machine, tumble dryer or dishwasher overnight or while you are out is a fire risk because of their high wattage, friction and motors.

It is important that owners of a Hotpoint, Indesit and Creda tumble dryers check their tumble dryer immediately to find out if their appliance has been affected and follow the advice given by the manufacturer.

Customers who have any concerns are being asked to check whether their model could be affected online or by calling Indesit.

The following notice has been issued by the manufacturer:

Safety Notice - Tumble Dryers

Following Whirlpool's acquisition of the Hotpoint/Indesit brands, Indesit Company has closely reviewed the safety of its product portfolio.

As part of this review we have identified a potential concern with two types of tumble dryers manufactured between April 2004 and September 2015. In some rare cases, excess fluff can come into contact with the heating element and present a risk of fire.

The affected brands are:

  • Hotpoint
  • Indesit
  • Creda

We are activating an extensive consumer outreach and service action plan in order to provide our consumers with products that are updated to higher safety and quality standards. We will arrange a visit from an engineer, free of charge, to modify your appliance. The service call will take approximately one hour. The improvements we believe are necessary will further enhance the safety and quality of your dryer.

In the meantime consumers may continue to use their products, provided that appliances are not left unattended whilst operating. We also remind customers of the need for proper cleaning and maintenance, as outlined in the user manual.

Affected tumble dryers models:

Condenser and vented dryers

What owners of these tumble dryers should do:

  • Check whether their model is affected at or
  • Contact Indesit on 0344822 4224 if they have any concerns and have not yet been contacted about their tumble dryer
  • Not leave the appliance unattended during operation.
  • Check the lint filter after every cycle.
  • Ensure proper venting as directed in the original operating manual.



Following an incident where 8 people were injured when a Barrel Train overturned, HSENI would like to remind businesses who operate barrel (egg) trains at open farms and other similar leisure facilities, that the operator has a legal duty to take reasonably practicable measures to ensure the safety of their employees and others, including members of the public riding in the train. ​

Further Information on Barrel Trains


If you have any queries please contact:

Derry City & Strabane District Council

028 71 253 253

[email protected]

Want to know more about what is happening in the council area?

Enter your email address and get them direct to your inbox